WG13: Side Impact
Terms of Reference
The purpose of the EEVC Working Groups is to provide the EEVC Steering Committee with impartial advice, based upon scientific evidence, in order to support the development and enhancement of European safety standards and legislation. The specific activities of the Working Groups will be as directed by the Steering Committee from time to time.
EEVC Working Group 13’s general remit is to respond to EEVC Steering Committee requests for advice concerning measures to reduce the risk of injury to road vehicle occupants in the event of side impact.
WG13 - Specific Activities
Each of the following activities shall be considered by the working group and a delivery plan developed. The plan shall include the resource requirement, timelines and interdependencies with other working groups or outside bodies. Each plan shall also contain milestones suitable for review by the regular meetings of the Steering Committee and, where appropriate, break points. Provision shall be made to ensure that any final recommendation is accompanied by an impact assessment suitable for use in the regulatory arena. The plan shall be submitted to the EEVC Steering Committee for their final approval.
1) Evidence Review (in cooperation with Working Group 21 – Accident Studies).
Review the nature of European side impact accidents and consider the likely effects of advances in vehicle technology on the current accident and casualty profile.
Reports and recommendations for further activity.
2) Barrier based test
On the basis of the Evidence Review, and taking account of the most recently available studies, assess the societal benefit of improving the current regulated barrier based test procedure (ECE Regulation 95).
Review the updated AE-MDB barrier and test procedure as proposed by the APROSYS project and other bodies that have evaluated the barrier and procedure.
- Report and work plan for further activity
- Report discussing the added value of adopting the AE-MDB procedure into the European Side Impact Regulation.
3) Non-struck side protection
On the basis of the Evidence Review make recommendations regarding necessary research with regard to ‘non struck side’ occupant protection and the societal benefit of introducing measures to mitigate such injury risk.
Report and work plans for further activity.
4) Pole Test
On the basis of the Evidence Review examine the work that has been undertaken by IHRA members, APROSYS and any other groups into the pole test (perpendicular and oblique).
A report discussing the societal benefit of adopting a pole impact test into the European Regulatory framework.
5) Interior Surface Test.
Review the proposed EEVC interior surface test procedure, including any validation testing that has been completed and, if necessary, refine the procedure such that it is fit for regulatory application.
- A report of the outcome of validation testing and a critical review of the competing headforms
- Development of a refined test procedure that is suitable for regulatory application.
- Report on the work of EEVC WG13, 1992-2005 (PDF, 6MB)
- Side Impact Head Protection Test Procedure - Encompassing both front and rear seating position, 2005 (PDF, 772KB)
- The Development of an Advanced European Mobile Deformable Barrier Face (AE-MDB), 2005 (PDF, 1MB)
- Research in the Field of Developing a European Interior Headform Test Procedure, 2005 (PDF, 3MB)
- Development of a European Side Impact Interior Headform Test Procedure, 2003 (PDF, 4MB)
- Progress on the Development of the Advanced European Mobile Deformable Barrier Face (AE-MDB), 2003 (PDF, 2MB)
- Recommendations for a Revised Specification for the EEVC Mobile Deformable Barrier Face, 2001 (PDF, 1MB)
- Files of impact test data that led to the development of the above paper 'Revised Specification for the EEVC Mobile Deformable Barrier Face'. The pages include test data, pictures and video files of a range of impact tests. The results are published by EEVC WG13 with the full agreement of its members, to give computer modellers baseline data against which to build and validate models of the MDB face, now incorporated into ECE Regulation 95
- Research progress in improves SIDE Impacts Protection, 2001 (PDF, 162KB)
- Head contacts in Side Impact - An Accident Analysis , 2001 (PDF, 791KB)
- Report to EC DG Enterprise Regarding the Revision of the Frontal and Side Impact Directives, 2000 (PDF, 287KB)
- Recommendations for the Revision of the Side Impact MDB Face Specification, January 2000 (PDF, 645KB)
- Side Impact Barrier Performance Testing Procedures for the Assessment of the Relative Performance of Eevc Side Impact Barrier Deformable Elements Under Realistic Loading Conditions, 1999 (PDF, 164KB)
- The Evaluation of Sub-Systems Methods for Measuring the Lateral Head Impact Performance of Cars, 1996 (PDF, 3MB)
- Test Methods for Evaluating and Comparing the Performance of Side Imapct Barrier Faces, 1998 (PDF, 203KB)
- A Review of the Influence of Guidance Methods on the Performance of the Free Motion Head-Form, for Use in Interior Surface Evaluation, 1999 (PDF, 297KB)